Saturday, December 2, 2017

Architectural Competions

For the last week and a half, I have been laid off work (boss overloaded), so I have been keeping myself busy by entering competitions.  Be warned, these do not pay very much, and if you do not win, you get nothing for all your work.

One of the ones I entered was for the front elevation of a house.  The brief was a typical one, as follows:

"I have one house plan with me for which I need a frond elevation to be designed (3D, Exterior only).
I received an elevation from one of the architect, but I am not that happy in it.
So want to have a new elevation.

The design should consider that the building will be in an area where we can expect 3-5 months of rain fall.

I am adding the floor plan with this (This is the final one)
Also adding two elevations in 2D (You can use any of these or a better one)"


 I did a model of the house in Revit then sent it on to 3DStudio for rendering.  It would have been nice to have nice clouds in the sky, but  this involves HDRI sky,  and as I am not using these daily, I have forgotten how to organize them, so just made do with the Mental Ray sky.

As usual, the Suite Workflow button in Revit saves a lot of time and hassle.

The night shot was a small drama, I could not get the lights to come on, even at 8 o'clock at night.
A quick internet search, and I turned their intensity up from 1 to 50,000 and away we went.

The other tricky one was of an office, the walls which I made colour pure white, which always came out grey.  In the end I found you can add luminosity to a material, and so I found a value of 100 did the trick. Hope this helps someone. I found too that 3D lettering is built in to Revit, nice.

Another freebie worth looking at is Forest Pack Lite, which I used (badly!) for the tree and shrubs.
This is an amazing product considering it is free. Find it at Itoo Software:

https://www.itoosoft.com/forestpack.php

All these entries end up paying not much in the way of an hourly rate, and that is if you win!
I have not won any so far.











No comments:

Post a Comment